Rethink your buying habits to reduce the waste you generate. 2021 is a great time to break the wasteful habits of impulse buying – both online and in-person. Remember, many returned items actually end up in the landfill.
Before you buy
- Evaluate if you need it. Is it a need or a want? Consider the cost in time and money to maintain it. Think about what you’ll do with it when you’re done with it. Do you really need it? Wait 24 hours to avoid impulse buys.
- Can you buy it used? Check garage sale sites, thrift/consignment stores, or ask friends. Local retailers who sell used items include Victor Outdoor Seconds and Kid Canyon in Victor; Lucky Dog, See & Save in Driggs; and numerous other shops in Jackson, Idaho Falls and Rexburg.
- Rent or borrow items you don’t use often. The Victor Tool Library is an amazing resource for tools and kits – check it out. Ask your neighbors or friends. Our libraries are a great resource for books, movies, and so much more – offering curbside service during the pandemic.
- Use up what you have. Check to see if you already have the product you want to purchase. Stay organized and use what’s already in your home.
Victor Tool Library
- Can you buy it locally? Supporting our small businesses is important for our community, reduces driving, and creates relationships. Avoid on-line purchases when possible. Too much convenience leads to a remarkable amount of unnecessary waste..
- Buy good-quality, reusable, durable goods. Avoid trendy or disposable items.
- Buy items with minimal or recyclable packaging. Purchase items in bulk and in concentrate.
- Buy green. Look for credible labels. Be aware of some terms that may not mean anything, such as environmentally friendly, earth-friendly and natural. Look for recycled content when possible as this creates a market to close the recycling loop.
- Buy the right amount for your needs. Plan and measure before you buy. Purchase only what you can use before it expires.
After you buy
- Take good care of your items to extend their life.
- Repurpose your items. Find a creative new use for your old stuff.
- Remember to bring your refillable/reusable items when you go out: shopping bags, water bottles, mugs, cloth napkins & food containers to cut down on waste.
- Donate or gift any items that you no longer need. Teton Valley Free Swap Site is a great place to give items away to community members in need.