Which Plastics Can I Recycle? And Where?
The TVCR Bags to Benches program gives out community the ability to recycle stretchy plastic bags and plastic film (pallet wrap, case overwrap) which is currently not recycled by Teton County, Idaho. Every 6 months, if we have collected 500 pounds or more of accepted plastic to ship to TREX, we earn a recycled plastic bench for our community.
Currently TVCR Collects Plastic for Bags to Benches at the Following Locations:
– Geo Center in Driggs (open 6am-10pm)
– General Laundry in Victor (open 7am-10pm)
– Alta Library – during open hours Tuesday-Saturday
– Victor Elementary School – during school hours only
Which Plastic Can Be Recycled With This Program
Only #2 and #4 Stretchy Plastic (plus cereal bags and Amazon type bubble wrap mailers)
To test for stretchiness, push your thumb through the bag. It should stretch, not “crinkle”.
If you are unsure, please text us and image of the questionable item or throw it into the trash. “Wishcycling” (contamination) is the number one reason volunteer recycling programs like this are shut down.
Examples are pictured below: (Please consolidate into one bag)
– Grocery Bags (try to bring your own and avoid collecting these)
– Bread Bags
– Bubble Wrap (pack in a separate bag as we donate these to local businesses for reuse)
– Air Pillows (please pop first!)
– Newspaper bags, ice bags (dry, remove metal clip), dry cleaning bags
– Bubble wrap mailers – 100% plastic, not paper or foil
– Ziploc bags – but NOT crinkly zippered produce bags
– Cereal bags (no crumbs please!)
– Case overwrap, plastic wrap, produce bags and wrap (non-crinkly)
– Lawn Care Bags
– Pet Food Bags
– Chips/Snacks Bags or candy wrappers
– Mesh Bags
– Frozen Food Bags
– Meat or Cheese wrappers
– Wine Bags
Pick up a postcard for your fridge at our drop-off location in the Geo Center, Driggs.